Kinds of Art and function
Art can be enjoyed through the media of vision (visual art), hearing (audio art), and a combination of both (audio visual art). In general, art can be divided into five groups, namely:
Theater art is the art of visualizing imagination or describing someone’s thoughts. The results of the imagination are related to the behavior of living things, both individually and in groups.
2. Literary Arts
Literary art is an art form that is enjoyed through the media of hearing and vision. Through literary art in words, one can convey messages and impressions in a beautiful way. Examples of literary art such as poetry (sound) and calligraphy (writing).
3. Music Art
The sound element is the main element of the art of music. While other elements are a form of harmony, melody, and musical notation as a means of being taught. The art of music grew and developed from the Renaissance to the present. Art of music is the result of human creation that produces sounds of rhythm and harmony that is beautiful for the listener.
Dance is the result of human creation that uses gestures as a beauty. Motion in dance functions as a medium to communicate certain purposes of the choreogragfer. In general, dance is combined with music. That way, the concentration and consistency of dance movements become more perfect in the delivery of messages and feelings.
5. Fine art
Fine art is a work of art that can be enjoyed through visual media, or visual art. Fine art focuses on works that have a form and form expressed in the form of paintings, drawings, sculptures, handicrafts, multimedia, and others.
Art functions are grouped into 2 parts, namely individual functions and social functions. The following explanation: Individual Function For individuals, art has a function as a means of meeting needs.
1. Function of Meeting Physical Needs Basically, humans are homofabers who have the ability to appreciate the beauty and use of things. Applied art does refer to satisfying physical needs so that the aspect of comfort becomes an important thing.
2. Function of Meeting Emotional Needs Emotions are feelings within humans, be they feelings of pleasure, sadness, anger, love, emotion, hate, and others. All people need to vent their feelings so that their mental condition remains normal. To meet these emotional needs, humans need encouragement from outside themselves. For example, someone who has an artistic and aesthetic spirit will express his emotions through music, paintings, or other things. It could also be when someone feels stressed, then he needs time for recreation, watching a movie, or other things to relieve mental stress. Social Function Social function is an art function that is useful as fulfilling an individual’s social needs.
There are several kinds of functions of art as social functions as follows:
1. Educational Functions Art has an important role in the world of education. Education can be grouped into three categories, namely: Formal education: Education in the school environment Non-formal education: Education in the community Informal education: Education in the family environment Through art, individuals can learn about values and science in a fun way. For example a student can study music or drama, where this activity can express themselves to others.
2. Religious / Religious Functions Art has an important role in delivering religious messages to humans. This can be seen from clothing / clothing, spiritual songs, wedding ceremonies, death ceremonies, calligraphy, and others. For example the gamelan used in the Ngaben ceremony in Bali (gamelan xylophone, luwang, and angklung). Or at Borobudur and Prambanan Temples. The reliefs on the walls of the temple are illustrations of Buddhist and Hindu scriptures.
3. Information function Through art can also explain things to others more easily. For example the use of posters that have artistic value in which there is information about the dangers of drugs, the importance of immunization, and delivery of government programs. Or it could be with a shadow puppet show, shadow puppets, skit and billboards.
4. Entertainment Function Most of the entertainment-related elements of art in which the actors can express themselves actively or passiv